Open competition to fill a vacancy for the management of La Escocesa
La Associació d'Idees EMA opens a coll to fill a vacancy for the management of La Escocesa
Open competition to fill a vacancy for the management of La Escocesa
June 2017 - June 2020
1. About the Associació d’Idees EMA (Association of Ideas) and La Escocesa
La Escocesa is a municipal space and a public service that is managed by the Associació d’Idees EMA, a non-profit organisation comprising visual artists with a long history of continued artistic work at the centre since 1999. The Associació d’Idees EMA was founded by artists from different disciplines when the premises were still being rented from a private owner. It became part of Poblenou district’s open workshops programme, displaying the activities carried out there. In 2008 the building became public property. This is when the association first came into contact with the City Council, requesting that it should continue its artistic activities despite no structural renovations to the building being made, thus maintaining its particular Bohemian characteristics. Since then and until its consolidation as an Art Factory, the association has continued to work on developing an artistic centre with its very own personality within the context of visual arts.
La Escocesa, managed by the Associació d’Idees EMA, promotes and participates in activities in Poblenou and Barcelona, aimed at fostering interest in art, mainly contemporary visual arts (painting, sculpture, mural art, illustration, installations and performance...). It provides a place where artists can research, create and at the same time publicise their work. The centre also invests in promoting encounters between Catalan artists and others from all around the world.
La Escocesa, as an integral part of Barcelona City Council’s Art Factories, actively collaborates with other creative spaces and networks of creation centres in the district, the city of Barcelona, Catalonia and also abroad.
The association promotes organisational aspects of a varying nature, such as working as part of an association; a specific organisation where different sensitivities coexist and where every contribution has its place in favour of a project within the field of artistic creation.
2. Association model
The association’s management and administration bodies are: 1. General Meeting
Work group responsibilities:
Management and coordination
External advisers (self-employed work relationship) Management and administration
(Redefinition of the association and management model currently under study. Preparation of an organisation chart for the association.)
La Escocesa wishes to maintain its identity as a centre for creation, continuing its path as an
association, which has enabled work with different artistic sensitivities since its creation, facilitating diverse visions and actions within the field of art.
Objectives of the association (article 2 of the statutes):
-Creation, communication and artistic dissemination.
-Provide artists with a space for research, creation and dissemination of their art.
-Recover spaces around the city to share and keep workshops of artistic creation alive in Barcelona.
-Foster cultural coexistence and exchange with other creators of different nationalities. 5Use the space as a meeting point for Catalan, national and international artists.
-Promote and participate in leisure activities and non-profit events aimed at stimulating interest in art.
-Open a document archive of addresses and other associations with similar objectives to ours that will include research and project experiences.
It is exclusively a not-for-profit association.
3. Professional assignment
The professional assignment for the management of La Escocesa for the period between June 2017 and June 2020 is the following:
Manage and optimise the current services and spaces:
- Basic production workshops.
- Coordination and assessment of projects.
- Provision of spaces for artists (long-term, short-term and periodic use of spaces). - Coordination of exhibitions, festivals and projects with the district.
- Interest in and ability for reaching agreements with other creative spaces and networks of creation centres.
Development of a programme for the 2017-2020 period. The plan must consider the following objectives:
- Work on the dissemination of the centre with regard to its artists, projects and funding sources.
- Encourage debate, discussion and reflection on art and its practices. Proposals that contribute innovation to the management, leadership and definition of the programme will be valued.
- Best use of the infrastructure.
- Residencies. Strategic programme for residencies and international exchanges.
- Programme of public activities (workshops, conferences, project presentations, meetings with artists, internships with professionals, debates...).
- Reinforce relations and networking with associations from the Poblenou district and other relevant contexts. With art centres, museums and production spaces. With research centres and educational fields, universities, colleges of art and design, etc.
- Manage and reorganise the technical team of La Escocesa and all of its current and future services.
- Draw up and manage the annual budget. Diversify and work on increasing the economic resources from the three areas: institutional support, sponsorship/patronage and own resources.
4. Professional profile and requirements
Profile related to visual arts with a broad perspective. Knowledge of the field of contemporary art.
Previous experience in art and/or art production centres. Coordination of teams and activities management. Ability to adapt to the centre’s needs.
Languages: Catalan, Spanish and English
-20 hours a week.
-Start date: 1 June
-Gross annual salary of 12.528,96 euros.
-A 3-year employment contract, renewable for another two years subject to agreement of both parties.
People interested in participating in the open competition must provide the following documentation:
- A maximum 5-page strategic action plan based on the Professional Assignment.
- An application letter addressed to the Associació d’Idees EMA managing board.
- Photocopy of national ID or passport.
- Documents accrediting their professional profile (certificates, texts, publications, etc.).
* All documents must be sent in a single PDF file (max. 10 Mb).
6. Candidate selection process:
1. Formal verification of the received digital documentation and admission.
2. Short-list of candidates according to projects presented.
3. Final selection of candidates for personal interview.
4. Selection of the candidate. Before the personal interview, originals of the documents provided in PDF format must be received.
The jury will be formed by members of the arts sector and representatives of the Associació d’Idees EMA.
Time frame. The deadline for receiving applications is Friday 30 April 2017. Applications must be sent by e-mail to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org . Applicants will receive a confirmation email of their application and documentation presented, without prejudice to its subsequent revision.
The resolution of this competition will be communicated by the Associació d’Idees EMA following a meeting with members of the arts sector, which will be held at the end of May 2017.
Pere IV, 345, 08020. Barcelona.